12.06.2011

The Post About Mom & Dad's Christmas Wish Lists

For many years, my family faced a common holiday problem.

Receiving gifts we didn't want.

You see, we're not really the type of mothers or fathers or brothers or sisters who make "mental" notes in June when you randomly mention a razor you think scientists created just for you so that we can later place it in your stocking with care.

No.

We're the type of mothers or fathers or brothers or sisters who squeal with delight when we realize Walgreen's is still open on Christmas Eve at 7:39pm and has one of those hot chocolate gift sets with mugs shaped like reindeer heads.

Score.

A few years ago, we decided to have a family intervention and confront this weakness. 

And that Virginia, is how Christmas wish lists were born in a manger.

Jan, otherwise known as my mother, has an interesting list.

#3: Phone Card. I lovingly refer to her cell phone as a "drug dealer go phone." She should really be demanding a new phone, but those visits to the Wal-Mart kiosk may be more comforting than I realize.

#4: Shake Weight. Umm... Consider it Santa's priority that my mother receive a Shake Weight and that I film her using it.

#6: Organizer for Ms. Dixie. My mother's SUV is called Ms. Dixie. She is not racist. See #7.

#7: Darius Rucker CD.

Note: When discussing this list with my father, he tried to delete 3 of the items because he believed she didn't really want them. This is why she owns mug sets shaped like snowmen heads.

Speaking of Chuck.

#1: Lowe's Gift Cards. This is what he wants. When I gifted him with one last month for his birthday, he pulled out his wallet and added it to 4 existing cards. I furrowed my brow to which he responded "One more and I can get the chainsaw."

#2: Pair of Loppers. What are loppers? Please define in the comments.

#3, 4, 5, 6: Various. I'm not going to buy the prepackaged gift sets. I'm simply going to get a shoe box and throw in shaving cream, razors, Jimmy Dean sausage, Kraft singles, and a handful of Chick-Fil-A mints. 

Note: When discussing this list with my father, he tried to delete all of the items but #1. This is why he has a wallet full of Lowe's gift cards.

How do you handle buying gifts? Are you thoughtful and listen? Do you give cash? Do you buy whatever is left on the way to the exchange?

{images: Jamie}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid if I chase your rabbit comment...

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs